As we all know people don’t buy the iPhone to ring people its draw is the App Store, So here is a list of the very best iPhone Apps available now from the 57,000+(Currently increasing around 3000+ Apps a month!) in the App Store and beyond so you can make the most of your 180 shortcut slots (160 free to use on 3GS as the defaults take up 20) on the dashboard of your sexy smartphone. You can install limitless Apps thanks to 3.0 now but you have to search for the launcher for the hidden ones which is in someways unproductive so I recommend using this list to find the best from the multitude of duplicate Apps that now plague the store. Also you should be aware I’m testing applications on a 32GB iPhone 3GS so your App performance experience may vary on older versions of the iPhone/iPod Touch and require using a memory freeing App before launching (Dedicated Memory App or function of a better value System Monitor).
Note: Some Apps listed in RED will require jailbreaking and installing through Cydia which I’m in no way advocating, but feel it is necessary to inform users of the true hardware potential of the iPhone that is frequently being revealed by the Dev Teams (By ignoring the SDK rules) alongside the dedicated conforming App Store developers. The Apps listed in Green are FREE and in Orange are Paid. I have provided a direct link to download each App from the iTunes App Store, but if you would just like to check out a screenshot without launching iTunes I suggest you check out the comprehensive web App directory Apptism.
This isn’t a static page so feel free to comment below or contact me about any new additions or impending updates that will cause ripples in the App ranks! Note: Useless/offensive Apps like iFart & TWSS are not welcome on this list, as it is designed to showcase the App gems (like good graphing calculators ect.) that never reach the normal charts for all the crud, such as the afforementioned ‘gag’ Apps which are a waste of my reviewing time and your money on your truly powerful smartphone!
- (Free) iMobileCinema – Flash Video Player – Website – Currently the plugin only supports a few video sites but you can find list showing current support status for the most popular video archive sites on the net. Unfortunately the popular Megavideo only works with older uploaded videos as of a couple of months ago as the current encoder now embeds a format of H.246 video in the FLV that the iPhone cant play! Reruns it is then!
- (Paid) YXFlash – Divx/Xvid Video Player – Website – YXFlash supports playing FLV, XVid, Divx & WMV and has a built in browser to enable these formats to play as streams as well as stored on the phone. It can also record video at 320X240 in MP4 for pre iPhone 3GS users. Getting your video files onto the iPhone isn’t as easy as it should be and in some ways just makes converting the videos to the iPhone format a much simpler prospect but if you are dead set on native Divx/Xvid playback your only format restrictions are 720X480 – 30FPS – 4MBS max bitrate! Though I did find playback a lot smoother on lower resolution TV Cap videos as you have to remember this is software decoding as Apple has locked down video hardware acceleration.
- (Free) iWoopie – YouTube/Dailymotion video saver/downloader – iTunes App Store – Save your favourite videos to watch or show freinds when away from a internet connection. The only issue with application is that it Most Downloaded section can on very rare ocaccasions show adult content due to it being allowed on Dailymotion.
- (Free) YouTube – YouTube in a simple and effective GUI for the iPhone which is natively installed and fantastic.
- (Free) Joost – Complete TV Network Series & Clips – iTunes App Store – Joost video portal with effective iPhone GUI that currently crashes on 3.0 when you try to launch a video making it useless until it gets an update, following which i will test it on different speed internet connections.
- (Free) Ustream – Live Video Webcasts – iTunes App – This App allows you to tune in live on UStream Webcast streams and chat in realtime with other viewers. It is predominatly used by a lot of webcam/screencast vloggers and also provides a searchable archive of their past recordings. Though you will find it is the backend to a multitude of stationed useful/fun webcams from sking resorts to traffic hotspots to newborn puppy kennels. Personally I find its best secret use is when a live event is taking place, as some users will link it to their PC TV card to feed events like the MTV Music Awards/Pay per view football games to the world live enabling you to tune in over 3G anywhere.
- (Free) TVU Player – American Streaming Live TV – iTunes App Store – TVU is a very popular P2P video streaming desktop application that has made its way to the App Store bringing you CBS, CW, Comedy Central, Scfi Channel, SkyNews, Nickelodeon, Disney Channel, Discovery Channel, Al Jazeera, ESPN, ABC and Fox among many others. The last 6 six channels I listed aren’t always there I believe due to legal reasons, but when a live TV App like this is free you can’t complain. It just about copes streaming on a 3G connection, But I personally like to use it as a small TV to watch in bed on the home WIFI connection saving leaving the computer/TV on standby all night when you turn it off saving you money.
- (£17.99) SlingPlayer Mobile – Frontend to your SlingPlayer Box – iTunes App Store – While this is a great tool in theroy, it is overpriced for its funtionality as it is a striped down version on the software you find on Windows mobile that is actually useful by working over 3G connections as
- (£5.99) Most graphical app release for the iPhone so far – Real Racing – iTunes App Store
- (£3.99) Great racing bloodline perfectly ported to the iPhone with engaging long term play – Need For Speed Underground – iTunes App Store
- (£1.19) Classic Mac kart game ported to the iPhone – Cro-Mag Rally – iTunes App Store
- (£0.59) Cheap yet good little street racer – Asphalt 4: Elite Racing – iTunes App Store
- (£3.49) Great Mariokart style fun action, with the platform veteran Crash Bandicoot – iTunes App Store
- (£0.59) The best motorbike racing game on the iPhone at a bargain price – Moto Chaser – iTunes App Store
- (£1.19) Fast & Furious The Game – Mission based street racing game – iTunes App Store Demo Version – iTunes App Store – This game has perfected accelerometer based controls illuminating the normal App learning curve and parallels the narrative of the film with a variety of mission based races. The Pink Slip multiplayer races work great over wifi and the cheap price actually enabled me to find a friend with the game to play against which is always a bonus. The game is a little easy by my standards though.
- (£4.99) 2XL Supercross – Very graphical supercross racing – iTunes App Store Demo Version – iTunes App Sore
- (Free) Cube Runner – High Speed obstacle avoidance in a space ship – iTunes App Store weaving its way through a field of cubes at high speed with simple but very fun use of the iPhones accelerometer – iTunes App Store
Multiplayer Games (1 iPhone)
ikarts 2 player racing
Sonic The Hedgehog
Jaadu Remote Desktop
free alternative mocha remote desktop lite
free alternative naff mocha vnc lite
log me in ignition
log me in free (slow) if you use through safari after setting your account to html instead of activex
browse in bed
free alternative discover
Amazon EBook Reader
QR Code Decoder
factron iphone case lenses
standard camera speed mode
snapper or camera genius
simple dof calculator
make my 3d
autostitch (Pc Port)
dslr camera remote professional edition
panorama 7136 pix by 1077
digital photo frame
fast web free wap view web page
oceanus web browser
read it later
dual level pro
intelliremote mediaportal/media center
prowl growl mac
istat cpu moniter for mac/linux/iphone
remember the milk
perfect rhyme (for poets)
good reader slow 200+ mb
marble blast mobile
penguin catapult 2
quake 3 arena jailbreak
doom reserection rails boo
cool riddles lite
circuit strike one
air phones fast router
nearest Tube coming soon
lose It! not available in UK test when is!